What should I do if my child is bleeding badly?

Stop any bleeding by applying pressure on the wound. Remember to keep holding it (don’t peek)! Every time you relieve the pressure, the bleeding will restart. So hold on and apply pressure for at least ten minutes. (Be prepared: Scalp and tongue wounds are especially bloody, so try not to overreact. Follow the same steps for these wounds.)

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

Continue Learning about First Aid For Wounds

Are You Prepared to Save a Life?
Are You Prepared to Save a Life?
Hopefully, you’ll never be in a situation where someone is suffering life-threatening bleeding. However, uncontrolled bleeding is the leading cause of...
What types of wounds require stitches?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
The following major injuries often require stitches: Bleeding from an artery or uncontrolled bleed...
What's the best way to remove a splinter?
Donnica Moore, MDDonnica Moore, MD
If you get a splinter, you may want to reach into the fruit bowl instead of the first aid kit: In ...
What's the Best Way to Remove a Splinter?