What should I do if I cut myself while swimming at the beach?

Seashell, barnacle, or coral cuts can cause a serious infection. Wash, disinfect and talk to your doc about antibiotic treatment—and do it promptly. Don't ignore it.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Wounds

Are You Prepared to Save a Life?
Are You Prepared to Save a Life?
Hopefully, you’ll never be in a situation where someone is suffering life-threatening bleeding. However, uncontrolled bleeding is the leading cause of...
What's the best way to remove a splinter?
Donnica Moore, MDDonnica Moore, MD
If you get a splinter, you may want to reach into the fruit bowl instead of the first aid kit: In ...
How should I care for a closed abdominal injury?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
To care for a closed wound to the abdomen: While keeping the injured area still, apply cold to the...
What's the Best Way to Remove a Splinter?