What over-the-counter products can I use for wound care?

There are many different over-the-counter products that can be used for wound care. These products include bandages, antibiotic ointments, topical anesthetics and disinfecting products. If your wound is severe or becomes infected, your doctor may recommend some measures that cannot be found over-the-counter. These include stitches, skin adhesives, tetanus shots or oral antibiotics.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Wounds

Are You Prepared to Save a Life?
Are You Prepared to Save a Life?
Hopefully, you’ll never be in a situation where someone is suffering life-threatening bleeding. However, uncontrolled bleeding is the leading cause of...
How should I apply an elastic roller bandage to treat a wound?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
To apply an elastic roller bandage: Check the circulation of the limb beyond where you will be pl...
What should I do if my wound starts swelling?
Brian Evans, MDBrian Evans, MD
If a wound starts to swell, it can be an indicator of an underlying medical issue, an infection or a...
What's the Best Way to Remove a Splinter?