What over-the-counter products can I use for wound care?

There are many different over-the-counter products that can be used for wound care. These products include bandages, antibiotic ointments, topical anesthetics and disinfecting products. If your wound is severe or becomes infected, your doctor may recommend some measures that cannot be found over-the-counter. These include stitches, skin adhesives, tetanus shots or oral antibiotics.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Wounds

Are You Prepared to Save a Life?
Are You Prepared to Save a Life?
Hopefully, you’ll never be in a situation where someone is suffering life-threatening bleeding. However, uncontrolled bleeding is the leading cause of...
When should I use a tourniquet to treat a wound?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Because of the potential for adverse effects, a tourniquet should be used only as a last resort ...
How can I care for my stitches?
Brian Evans, MDBrian Evans, MD
The best way to care for stitches is to follow your doctor's advice and keep the stitches clean. Lea...
How are open wounds treated?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
General care for open wounds includes controlling bleeding, preventing infection, and using dressing...