How should I use a manufactured tourniquet to control bleeding?

Note: Always follow standard precautions and call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number. Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions when applying a tourniquet.
  • Position the tourniquet around the limb, approximately 2 inches (about 2 finger widths) above the wound but not over a joint.
[media id="4e80d8f6decf43_49637955" title="Arc SS CH7 UMT Figure 1"]
  • Route the tag end of the strap through the buckle, if necessary.
  • Pull the strap tightly and secure it in place.

[media id="4e80d92fb32421_69920245" title="Arc SS CH7 UMT Figure 2"]

• Tighten the tourniquet by twisting the rod until the flow of bleeding stops and secure the rod in place. Do not cover the tourniquet with clothing.

• Note and record the time that you applied the tourniquet and give this information to emergency medical service (EMS) personnel.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Wounds

Are You Prepared to Save a Life?
    Are You Prepared to Save a Life?
    Hopefully, you’ll never be in a situation where someone is suffering life-threatening bleeding. However, uncontrolled bleeding is the leading cause of...
    What are stitches or sutures?
    Stitches are used to hold a wound together while it heals. Stitches must be done within 8 to 12 ...
    How should I care for a wound with an embedded object?
    Brian Evans, MDBrian Evans, MD
    If a foreign body is embedded in a wound, it's important to seek immediate medical attention. Learn ...
    How Do I Treat a Wound?
    How Do I Treat a Wound?