How should I use a manufactured tourniquet to control bleeding?

Note: Always follow standard precautions and call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number. Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions when applying a tourniquet.
  • Position the tourniquet around the limb, approximately 2 inches (about 2 finger widths) above the wound but not over a joint.
[media id="4e80d8f6decf43_49637955" title="Arc SS CH7 UMT Figure 1"]
  • Route the tag end of the strap through the buckle, if necessary.
  • Pull the strap tightly and secure it in place.

[media id="4e80d92fb32421_69920245" title="Arc SS CH7 UMT Figure 2"]

• Tighten the tourniquet by twisting the rod until the flow of bleeding stops and secure the rod in place. Do not cover the tourniquet with clothing.

• Note and record the time that you applied the tourniquet and give this information to emergency medical service (EMS) personnel.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Wounds

How do I bandage my wound?
    You should only use a bandage if your wound is an area that might get dirty or irritated by clot...
    What is a skin adhesive?
    Skin adhesive is an alternative way that doctors bind wounds in order to avoid stitches. It is u...
    How should I care for a minor open wound?
    American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
    To care for a minor open wound, follow these general guidelines: Use a barrier between your hand a...
    How can I avoid disease transmission when caring for open wounds?
    National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
    You can reduce the risk of disease transmission by washing your hands immediately after giving first...