How do I stop my wound from bleeding?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
One saying in surgery is that "all bleeding eventually stops." It is very important to apply constant pressure for at least 30 minutes and recheck the bleeding. If it persists you should immediately consult your physician or surgeon. Cold compression with ice packs may also help. 

Continue Learning about First Aid For Wounds

Are You Prepared to Save a Life?
Are You Prepared to Save a Life?
Hopefully, you’ll never be in a situation where someone is suffering life-threatening bleeding. However, uncontrolled bleeding is the leading cause of...
When should I use a tourniquet to treat a wound?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Because of the potential for adverse effects, a tourniquet should be used only as a last resort ...
Should I call 9-1-1 for someone with a closed wound?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number if: A person complains of severe pain or cannot move a ...
What's the Best Way to Remove a Splinter?