How does rapid blood loss affect the body?

Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
Emergency Medicine
You have approximately 5.7 liters of blood in your body. This amount is needed to maintain circulation. Rapidly losing just one liter can result in shock or death. That's why a victim's pulse will quicken then weaken as blood is lost. If someone is bleeding heavily, it is important for you to stay calm and to control the bleeding and get medical help immediately.
Doc's First Aid Guide: Read It Before You Need It

In a medical emergency, time is of the essence. "Doc's First Aid Guide" is an illustrated, first-aid pocket handbook designed to be used as a quick reference and includes the latest CPR guidelines....

Continue Learning about First Aid For Wounds

Are You Prepared to Save a Life?
Are You Prepared to Save a Life?
Hopefully, you’ll never be in a situation where someone is suffering life-threatening bleeding. However, uncontrolled bleeding is the leading cause of...
How do I care for my cut?
A cut is a wound that usually results from something sharp, like a knife or broken glass. You ca...
What should I do if my wound starts swelling?
Brian Evans, MDBrian Evans, MD
If a wound starts to swell, it can be an indicator of an underlying medical issue, an infection or a...
How Do I Treat a Wound?
How Do I Treat a Wound?