How can I help someone care for their wound?

You can help by keeping their wound clean and bandaged. Encourage them to avoid scratching the wound and check the wound regularly for signs of infection. Signs of infection include redness spreading from the wound site, increasing pain, drainage, warmth, swelling and a bad odor. If there is any sign of infection, you should contact the doctor.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Wounds

What should I do if my wound starts swelling?
Brian Evans, MDBrian Evans, MD
If a wound starts to swell, it can be an indicator of an underlying medical issue, an infection or a...
How do I care for my cut?
A cut is a wound that usually results from something sharp, like a knife or broken glass. You ca...
How should I care for my wound after surgery?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Here are tips on how you can care for your wound after surgery:If your wound is closed with staples:...
How should I care for a wound with an embedded object?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
If an object, such as a knife or a piece of glass or metal, is embedded in a wound, do not remove...