How can I help someone care for their wound?

You can help by keeping their wound clean and bandaged. Encourage them to avoid scratching the wound and check the wound regularly for signs of infection. Signs of infection include redness spreading from the wound site, increasing pain, drainage, warmth, swelling and a bad odor. If there is any sign of infection, you should contact the doctor.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Wounds

Are You Prepared to Save a Life?
Are You Prepared to Save a Life?
Hopefully, you’ll never be in a situation where someone is suffering life-threatening bleeding. However, uncontrolled bleeding is the leading cause of...
What is the first aid treatment for wounds?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
The following is the first aid treatment for externally bleeding wounds: Do not apply a tourniquet...
How should I care for a major open wound?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
A major open wound has serious tissue damage and severe bleeding. To care for a major open wound, yo...
How Do I Treat a Wound?
How Do I Treat a Wound?