How can I help my loved one care for their wound?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
Wound care will differ depending upon the size, type, and level of contamination or infection. In general, wet to dry dressing changes with antibiotic solutions twice a day will remove superficial necrotic tissue and allow vascular granulation tissue to form. Subsequently, clean wounds will close by secondary intention.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Wounds

What's the best way to remove a splinter?
Donnica Moore, MDDonnica Moore, MD
If you get a splinter, you may want to reach into the fruit bowl instead of the first aid kit: In ...
What types of wounds require stitches?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
The following major injuries often require stitches: Bleeding from an artery or uncontrolled bleed...
How can I care for my stitches?
Brian Evans, MDBrian Evans, MD
The best way to care for stitches is to follow your doctor's advice and keep the stitches clean. Lea...
How should I care for a closed abdominal injury?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
To care for a closed wound to the abdomen: While keeping the injured area still, apply cold to the...