How can I help my loved one care for their wound?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
Wound care will differ depending upon the size, type, and level of contamination or infection. In general, wet to dry dressing changes with antibiotic solutions twice a day will remove superficial necrotic tissue and allow vascular granulation tissue to form. Subsequently, clean wounds will close by secondary intention.
You can help your loved one to care for their wound by keeping their wound clean and bandaged. Encourage them to avoid itching their wounds or contacting irritating objects. You should check the wound regularly for signs of infection. Signs of infection include redness spreading from the wound site, increasing pain, drainage, warmth, swelling, and a bad odor from the sore. If your loved one experiences any sign of infection you should try and clean out their wound or contact their doctor.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Wounds

Are You Prepared to Save a Life?
Are You Prepared to Save a Life?
Hopefully, you’ll never be in a situation where someone is suffering life-threatening bleeding. However, uncontrolled bleeding is the leading cause of...
How can I avoid disease transmission when caring for open wounds?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
You can reduce the risk of disease transmission by washing your hands immediately after giving first...
How should I care for my wound after surgery?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Here are tips on how you can care for your wound after surgery:If your wound is closed with staples:...
How Do I Treat a Wound?
How Do I Treat a Wound?