How should I handle a severed body part?

• Put the wrapped part in a plastic bag and seal the bag.
  • Keep the part cold and bag cool by placing it in a larger bag or container of an ice and water slurry, not on ice alone and not on dry ice, if possible, but do not freeze.

• Be sure the part is taken to the hospital with the person. Doctors may be able to reattach it.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Wounds

Are You Prepared to Save a Life?
Are You Prepared to Save a Life?
Hopefully, you’ll never be in a situation where someone is suffering life-threatening bleeding. However, uncontrolled bleeding is the leading cause of...
What is a tourniquet?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
A tourniquet is a tight band placed around an arm or a leg to constrict blood vessels in order to st...
How should I care for a wound with an embedded object?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
If an object, such as a knife or a piece of glass or metal, is embedded in a wound, do not remove...
How Do I Treat a Wound?
How Do I Treat a Wound?