How should I care for a minor open wound?

To care for a minor open wound, follow these general guidelines:
  • Use a barrier between your hand and the wound. If readily available, put on disposable gloves and place a sterile dressing on the wound.
  • Apply direct pressure for a few minutes to control any bleeding.
  • Wash the wound thoroughly with soap and water. If possible, irrigate an abrasion for about five minutes with clean, warm, running tap water.
  • Apply an antibiotic ointment to a minor wound if the person has no known allergies or sensitivities to the medication.
  • Cover the wound with a sterile dressing and a bandage or with an adhesive bandage to keep the wound moist and prevent drying.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Wounds

Are You Prepared to Save a Life?
Are You Prepared to Save a Life?
Hopefully, you’ll never be in a situation where someone is suffering life-threatening bleeding. However, uncontrolled bleeding is the leading cause of...
What are stitches or sutures?
Stitches are used to hold a wound together while it heals. Stitches must be done within 8 to 12 ...
How important is movement when caring for a wound?
Brian Evans, MDBrian Evans, MD
If a wound falls on a joint, doctors will often immobilize the area; movement can cause tearing. Lea...
How Do I Treat a Wound?
How Do I Treat a Wound?