First Aid For Wounds

How should I care for a minor open wound?

• To care for a minor open wound, follow these general guidelines:
    • Use a barrier between your hand and the wound. If readily available, put on disposable gloves and place a sterile dressing on the wound.
    • Apply direct pressure for a few minutes to control any bleeding.
    • Wash the wound thoroughly with soap and water. If possible, irrigate an abrasion for about five minutes with clean, warm, running tap water.
    • Apply an antibiotic ointment to a minor wound if the person has no known allergies or sensitivities to the medication.
    • Cover the wound with a sterile dressing and a bandage or with an adhesive bandage to keep the wound moist and prevent drying.
How should I apply an elastic roller bandage to treat a wound?