How should I care for a lip or gum injury?

• For injuries that penetrate the lip, place a rolled dressing between the lip and the gum. You can place another dressing on the outer surface of the lip.
  • If the tongue is bleeding, apply a dressing and direct pressure.
  • Applying cold to the lips or tongue can help to reduce swelling and ease pain.
To stop a bleeding lip:
  • Hold pressure on the cut using clean gauze pad.
  • Try not to continuously rinse the area as it may prevent clotting to help form a scab in a timely manner.
(This answer provided for NATA by the Georgia College & State University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about First Aid For Wounds

Are You Prepared to Save a Life?
Are You Prepared to Save a Life?
Hopefully, you’ll never be in a situation where someone is suffering life-threatening bleeding. However, uncontrolled bleeding is the leading cause of...
Should I call 9-1-1 for someone with a closed wound?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number if: A person complains of severe pain or cannot move a ...
How can I care for my stitches?
Brian Evans, MDBrian Evans, MD
The best way to care for stitches is to follow your doctor's advice and keep the stitches clean. Lea...
How Do I Treat a Wound?
How Do I Treat a Wound?