How should I care for a closed abdominal injury?

To care for a closed wound to the abdomen:
  • While keeping the injured area still, apply cold to the affected area to control pain and swelling.
  • Carefully position the person on his or her back with the knees bent, if that position does not cause pain.
  • Keep the person from getting chilled or overheated.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Wounds

What should I use to clean a wound?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Soap and water are recommended wound care for all lacerations. Alcohol and hydrogen peroxide are not...
How should I apply a roller bandage to a wound?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Secure the end of the bandage in place with a turn of the bandage. Wrap the bandage around the bo...
How do I clean my wound?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Open wounds may require wet to dry dressing changes with sterile normal saline, hydrogen peroxide or...
How do I care for my cut?
A cut is a wound that usually results from something sharp, like a knife or broken glass. You ca...