How should I care for a closed abdominal injury?

To care for a closed wound to the abdomen:
  • While keeping the injured area still, apply cold to the affected area to control pain and swelling.
  • Carefully position the person on his or her back with the knees bent, if that position does not cause pain.
  • Keep the person from getting chilled or overheated.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Wounds

Are You Prepared to Save a Life?
Are You Prepared to Save a Life?
Hopefully, you’ll never be in a situation where someone is suffering life-threatening bleeding. However, uncontrolled bleeding is the leading cause of...
How can I avoid disease transmission when caring for open wounds?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
You can reduce the risk of disease transmission by washing your hands immediately after giving first...
How do I treat a wound?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Treating a wound depends on the severity, size, and concurrent medical history. In general, small wo...
What's the Best Way to Remove a Splinter?