How can I care for my stitches?

The best way to care for stitches is to follow your doctor's advice and keep the stitches clean. Learn more from Brian Evans, MD, from West Hills Hospital & Medical Center in this video.

One to three days after receiving stitches, you should wash your stitched wound since this often prevents scarring. To decrease swelling of the area, you may want to elevate the wound. You might want to wash and rebandage your stitches once a day, as well as apply antibiotic ointment, to avoid infection. Signs of infection include redness spreading from the wound site, increasing pain, drainage, warmth, swelling and a bad odor.

If you experience any sign of infection you should contact your doctor. Stitches are usually removed in three to 14 days, depending on where the cut is located. Areas that move, such as over or around the joints, require more time to heal.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Wounds

Are You Prepared to Save a Life?
Are You Prepared to Save a Life?
Hopefully, you’ll never be in a situation where someone is suffering life-threatening bleeding. However, uncontrolled bleeding is the leading cause of...
When do I need a tetanus shot for my wound?
If you have received all of your tetanus vaccines as a child, you will need to have a tetanus bo...
How do I clean my wound?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Open wounds may require wet to dry dressing changes with sterile normal saline, hydrogen peroxide or...
How Do I Treat a Wound?
How Do I Treat a Wound?