How should I apply an elastic roller bandage to treat a wound?

To apply an elastic roller bandage:
  • Check the circulation of the limb beyond where you will be placing the bandage by checking for feeling, warmth, and color.
  • Place the end of the bandage against the skin and use overlapping turns.
[media id="4e80b9d8a761c2_50900010" title="Arc Figure 7_17A"]
  • Gently stretch the bandage as you continue wrapping. The wrap should cover a long body section, like an arm or a calf, beginning at the point farthest from the heart. For a joint like a knee or ankle, use figure-eight turns to support the joint.
[media id="4e80b9f571c0a0_74277381" title="Arc Figure 7_17B"]

• Check the snugness of the bandaging -- a finger should easily, but not loosely, pass under the bandage.
  • Always check the area above and below the injury site for feeling, warmth, and color, especially fingers and toes, after you have applied an elastic roller bandage. By checking both before and after bandaging, you will be able to tell if any tingling or numbness is from the bandaging or the injury.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Wounds

How should I care for someone with a closed wound?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Many closed wounds, like bruises, do not require special medical care.To care for a closed wound, yo...
What kind of bandage should I use for my wound?
Always use a clean and fresh adhesive strip (Band-Aid), sterile gauze or adhesive tape. Try to c...
What should I use to clean a wound?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Soap and water are recommended wound care for all lacerations. Alcohol and hydrogen peroxide are not...
How do I care for my cut?
A cut is a wound that usually results from something sharp, like a knife or broken glass. You ca...