Do I need to go to the emergency room (ER) for stitches?

You don't necessarily need to go to an emergency room (ER) for stitches. You can always call your own healthcare provider to see if you can be seen for stitches or you can go to an urgent care center to get stitches.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Wounds

Are You Prepared to Save a Life?
Are You Prepared to Save a Life?
Hopefully, you’ll never be in a situation where someone is suffering life-threatening bleeding. However, uncontrolled bleeding is the leading cause of...
What should I do if my wound starts swelling?
Brian Evans, MDBrian Evans, MD
If a wound starts to swell, it can be an indicator of an underlying medical issue, an infection or a...
What is a tourniquet?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
A tourniquet is a tight band placed around an arm or a leg to constrict blood vessels in order to st...
How Do I Treat a Wound?
How Do I Treat a Wound?