What do I do if I cut myself?

The kitchen is where household cuts happen the most. In this video, Dr. Oz and his mother walk viewers through the steps to take if cut while cooking.

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
Serious cuts should be dealt with immediately. First, if bleeding is occurring, use immediate compression and seek emergency room attention. Next, if the laceration requires sutures, consider a board-certified plastic surgeon. Small cuts may only require cleansing with hydrogen peroxide and antibiotic ointments. If any doubt, consult your physician.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Wounds

Are You Prepared to Save a Life?
Are You Prepared to Save a Life?
Hopefully, you’ll never be in a situation where someone is suffering life-threatening bleeding. However, uncontrolled bleeding is the leading cause of...
How do I care for my cut?
A cut is a wound that usually results from something sharp, like a knife or broken glass. You ca...
When should I use a tourniquet to treat a wound?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Because of the potential for adverse effects, a tourniquet should be used only as a last resort ...
What's the Best Way to Remove a Splinter?