Can a severed limb be reattached?

In some cases, it is possible to reattach a limb. If you suffer a severed limb, be sure to rinse off the detached body part, wrap it in a moist cloth and store it in a sealed plastic bag. Then, place the sealed plastic bag into ice water and transport it to the hospital. If you do this, the limb should remain viable for approximately 18 hours.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Wounds

What over-the-counter products can I use for wound care?
There are many different over-the-counter products that can be used for wound care. These produc...
How should I apply a roller bandage to a wound?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Secure the end of the bandage in place with a turn of the bandage. Wrap the bandage around the bo...
What should I use to clean a wound?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Soap and water are recommended wound care for all lacerations. Alcohol and hydrogen peroxide are not...
What are stitches or sutures?
Stitches are used to hold a wound together while it heals. Stitches must be done within 8 to 12 ...