Can a severed limb be reattached?

In some cases, it is possible to reattach a limb. If you suffer a severed limb, be sure to rinse off the detached body part, wrap it in a moist cloth and store it in a sealed plastic bag. Then, place the sealed plastic bag into ice water and transport it to the hospital. If you do this, the limb should remain viable for approximately 18 hours.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Wounds

Are You Prepared to Save a Life?
Are You Prepared to Save a Life?
Hopefully, you’ll never be in a situation where someone is suffering life-threatening bleeding. However, uncontrolled bleeding is the leading cause of...
How should I care for an open abdominal injury?
Brian Evans, MDBrian Evans, MD
The first step in caring for an open wound is cleansing the wound and seeking medical attention if i...
How do I care for my cut?
A cut is a wound that usually results from something sharp, like a knife or broken glass. You ca...
What's the Best Way to Remove a Splinter?