What should I do if I have symptoms of hypothermia?

First and foremost, get yourself somewhere warm. Shed any wet clothes (especially the cotton ones) and hop in a warm shower if possible.

If you can’t get somewhere warm, then getting as close as possible to someone else and sharing body heat will help significantly. One word of caution, though. Be very careful if your skin is numb, because hot water (anything more than a hot shower) or a heating pad can burn numb skin without you even realizing it.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Natural Exposure

How to Avoid a Heat Stroke in Extreme Temperatures
Your internal thermostat works to keep your core temperature within two degrees of 98.6°F. Your hypothalamus helps your body stay hydrated, maintain s...
Prevent Heat Stroke: Don't Get Overheated!
"Body Heat" sizzled with the passions of actors Kathleen Turner and William Hurt, but when the summer sun cranks up its power, you need to be on the o...
What are the symptoms of heat exhaustion?
Dr. Leigh Vinocur, MDDr. Leigh Vinocur, MD
If you're sweating heavily, you could be developing heat exhaustion, but there are other less obviou...
Who is at increased risk for hypothermia?
Victims of hypothermia are often (1) elderly people with inadequate food, clothing, or heating; (2) ...