What is heat index?

The heat index combines both temperature and humidity to determine a real feel of the temperature. For example, if the temperature is 80 degrees, and there is 80 percent humidity, the heat index is 84. In other words, it may only be 80°F outside, but because of the humidity, your body is losing heat at a slower rate, equivalent to a dry temperature of 84°F.
(This answer provided for NATA by the Marist College Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about First Aid For Natural Exposure

Prevent Heat Stroke: Don't Get Overheated!
"Body Heat" sizzled with the passions of actors Kathleen Turner and William Hurt, but when the summer sun cranks up its power, you need to be on the o...
How to Avoid a Heat Stroke in Extreme Temperatures
Your internal thermostat works to keep your core temperature within two degrees of 98.6°F. Your hypothalamus helps your body stay hydrated, maintain s...
What can I do if someone vomits after drinking water in hot weather?
St Francis Medical CenterSt Francis Medical Center
If someone vomits or feels nauseous after drinking water in extremely hot weather, do not give any w...
How can I prevent a cold-related emergency?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
To prevent cold-related illnesses and emergencies, follow these guidelines: Do not go outdoors ...