What can I do if someone vomits after drinking water in hot weather?

If someone vomits or feels nauseous after drinking water in extremely hot weather, do not give any water or anything by mouth. If the person does vomit and is experiencing heat exhaustion or heat stroke, it's very likely that his or her mental status may start to deteriorate. People in this situation may not understand where they are, they may become very combative, and if they have liquids in their stomach and vomit and they may not protect their airway.

If they are lucid enough to understand, you can get them into a cool area, try to get them into an ice bath or into a cold shower, take off the heavy clothing, take off the heavy equipment they may be wearing for sports and try to cool the ambient temperature around them first.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified health care provider.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Natural Exposure

Prevent Heat Stroke: Don't Get Overheated!
"Body Heat" sizzled with the passions of actors Kathleen Turner and William Hurt, but when the summer sun cranks up its power, you need to be on the o...
How to Avoid a Heat Stroke in Extreme Temperatures
Your internal thermostat works to keep your core temperature within two degrees of 98.6°F. Your hypothalamus helps your body stay hydrated, maintain s...
When should I call 9-1-1 for someone suffering from heat exhaustion?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
It is important to call "911" for a person suffering heat exhaustion, because it can quickly lead to...
What should I avoid doing if someone has a heat illness?
St Francis Medical CenterSt Francis Medical Center
There are a few things you should avoid doing if someone has a heat illness. Sometimes, we're so use...