How can I avoid hypothermia?

An important strategy in preventing cold injuries is to layer clothing. Be sure to wear multiple layers of thin clothing instead of one or two thick layers. The air between the layers actually helps in preserving heat. This also allows for removal of outer layers as the body warms up during activity. In a wet environment it is important to wear water-resistant clothing, as wet clothing will speed up heat loss.
(This answer provided for NATA by the Marist College Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about First Aid For Natural Exposure

Prevent Heat Stroke: Don't Get Overheated!
"Body Heat" sizzled with the passions of actors Kathleen Turner and William Hurt, but when the summer sun cranks up its power, you need to be on the o...
What causes hypothermia?
Dr. Leigh Vinocur, MDDr. Leigh Vinocur, MD
Being out in cold too long puts you at risk for hypothermia, which is having a core body temperature...
When should I call 9-1-1 for someone suffering from heat exhaustion?
It is important to call "911" for a person suffering heat exhaustion, because it can quickly lead to...
Who is at increased risk for hypothermia?
Victims of hypothermia are often (1) elderly people with inadequate food, clothing, or heating; (2) ...