How can I avoid heat exhaustion when mountain biking?

It is possible to get heat exhaustion when mountain biking. You should make sure that you drink plenty of fluids before biking and that you take enough water with you. Depending on your geographical location, you should also check the temperature of the area you will bike. (This answer provided for NATA by the California University of Pennsylvania Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about First Aid For Natural Exposure

How to Avoid a Heat Stroke in Extreme Temperatures
Your internal thermostat works to keep your core temperature within two degrees of 98.6°F. Your hypothalamus helps your body stay hydrated, maintain s...
What are the symptoms of heat exhaustion?
Dr. Kathleen Handal, MDDr. Kathleen Handal, MD
The following are signs and symptoms of heat exhaustion: Sweating, moist clammy skin Muscle cram...
When should I call 9-1-1 for someone suffering from heat exhaustion?
It is important to call "911" for a person suffering heat exhaustion, because it can quickly lead to...
Who is at increased risk for hypothermia?
Victims of hypothermia are often (1) elderly people with inadequate food, clothing, or heating; (2) ...