Can people develop hypothermia in temperatures above freezing?

The air temperature does not have to be below freezing for people to develop hypothermia. This is especially true if the person is wet or if it is windy. Elderly people in poorly heated homes can develop hypothermia. The homeless, the ill, and young children also are at risk.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Natural Exposure

What causes hypothermia?
Dr. Leigh Vinocur, MDDr. Leigh Vinocur, MD
Being out in cold too long puts you at risk for hypothermia, which is having a core body temperature...
How can I prevent a cold-related emergency?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
To prevent cold-related illnesses and emergencies, follow these guidelines: Do not go outdoors ...
When should I call 9-1-1 for someone suffering from heat exhaustion?
It is important to call "911" for a person suffering heat exhaustion, because it can quickly lead to...
Why are some people unaware of heat- or cold-related emergencies?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
People usually try to get out of extreme heat or cold before they begin to feel ill. However, so...