Why should an infant who was choking be seen by a doctor after the event?

An infant who has choked and has been given back blows and chest thrusts to clear the airway requires a medical evaluation. Internal injuries and damage to the airway may not be evident immediately.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Choking

What are the signs of choking?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
The following are the signs of someone choking: Inability to speak, cough or breathe Very weak c...
How do I give rescue breaths to an unconscious choking infant?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Give 2 rescue breaths. -Tilt the head to a neutral position and seal your mouth over the infant'...
How can I help a child who is choking and has a completely blocked airway?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
A conscious child who has a completely blocked airway needs immediate care. Using more than on...
How do I clear a blocked airway?
The action to clear a blocked airway is an abdominal thrust, also called the Heimlich maneuver. ...