What foods can children choke on?

Common foods that can cause choking in children include:
  • Peanuts
  • Hot dogs
  • Lettuce
  • Celery
  • White bread
  • Nuts
  • Cheese chunks
  • Whole grapes
  • Hard candy
  • Popcorn
From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.
Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...
Children can choke on anything that is the right size to block their airway. This includes things such as grapes or even hot dogs cut into coin shapes. It is better to cut hot dogs into strips instead, to reduce the chances of children choking.
Some foods can put a child under the age of 5 at a high risk for choking. They include hot dogs, nuts and seeds, chunks of meat or cheese, whole grapes, hard or sticky candy, lollipops, dried fruit, popcorn, chunks of peanut butter, chunks of raw vegetables and chewing gum.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Choking

How do I clear a blocked airway?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
The action to clear a blocked airway is an abdominal thrust, also called the Heimlich maneuver. ...
What foods are choking hazards for toddlers?
Cheryl TallmanCheryl Tallman
Many foods are choking hazards until your toddler is over 3 years old. Avoid small, hard pieces ...
What Should I Do If Someone Is Choking?
What Should I Do If Someone Is Choking?
How Does a Person Choke?
How Does a Person Choke?