What are common choking hazards for children?

Tip: If an object can fit in a cardboard toilet-paper tube, it’s a choking hazard. Do a clean sweep and make sure all small objects are out of both sight and reach of young ones. Tie up cords from blinds and drapery, and keep ropes, ribbons, string, and plastic grocery bags away from small children.

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...
Nina L. Shapiro, MD
Ear, Nose & Throat (Otolaryngology)
The highest-risk age group for choking accidents is from 10 to 36 months. The most common things that kids choke on are food and toys. Since the Consumer Product Safety Commission mandated that all toys with small parts be labeled for safety, choking accidents from toys have diminished significantly.

Unfortunately, foods do not have safety labels. The highest-risk choking foods are hot dogs, raw carrots, candy, gum, nuts and seeds of any kind. If you are not sure what's safe for your toddler, always ask your pediatrician.

To reduce choking risk, teach your child to be seated while he's eating and do not allow him to eat in the backseat of the car.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Choking

What are the signs of choking?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
The following are the signs of someone choking: Inability to speak, cough or breathe Very weak c...
How long should I give care to a conscious choking adult?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
When providing care, each back blow and abdominal thrust should be a separate and distinct attem...
What Should I Do If Someone Is Choking?
What Should I Do If Someone Is Choking?
How Does a Person Choke?
How Does a Person Choke?