What can I do if I start choking?

If you are concerned you are choking, attempt to take a breath, talk, or cough. If you are able to do so, you are likely not choking completely, and the food may pass within a few minutes. If you are unable to take a breath, talk, or cough, and you are around people who can help you, you should motionto your throat with both hands to indicate that you are choking and cannot breathe. If you are by yourself and you are choking, you can attempt to dislodge the stuck food by placing your fist to your stomach just above your navel, and placing your other hand over your fist, and forcefully thrusting your fist inward and upward. You can also perform the same maneuver by leaning over a chair or table and letting the weight of your body push down on the surface you are leaning over.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Choking

How do I give back blows to a conscious choking infant?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
To give back blows:   Position the infant face-down on your forearm, holding the infant's jaw w...
What foods are choking hazards to preschoolers?
Jodie ShieldJodie Shield
Avoid serving these foods or be sure to cut them into tiny pieces (no larger than one-half inch)...
How Does a Person Choke?
How Does a Person Choke?
What Should I Do If Someone Is Choking?
What Should I Do If Someone Is Choking?