How can I prevent my toddler from choking?

Don’t hurry your child to finish eating. A young child can be overwhelmed with lots of food, so put only a small amount of food on the tray at a time. Also, make sure the pieces of food offered are small. It’s recommended that food be no more than one-half inch in any direction. If you’re not sure, cut the food and err on the side of serving smaller pieces. Cut meat across the grain into small pieces so they’ll be easier to chew.

Besides small toys and marbles, keep items such as pen caps, small batteries, and coins away from young children. Do a sofa-cushion check periodically to look for choking hazards that have fallen through the cracks. Get down on the floor from time to time and look at your environment through your baby’s eyes to double check for any hazards you might have overlooked at adult height.

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Continue Learning about First Aid For Choking

How do I help a child in a wheelchair who is choking?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
For a choking child in a wheelchair, give abdominal thrusts only.
How do I give care to a conscious choking adult who can't breathe?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
AFTER CHECKING THE SCENE AND THE INJURED OR ILL PERSON, HAVE SOMEONE CALL 9-1-1 AND GET CONSENT....
What Should I Do If Someone Is Choking?
What Should I Do If Someone Is Choking?
How Does a Person Choke?
How Does a Person Choke?