How can coughing help a choking child?

Coughing forcefully may dislodge whatever is partially blocking the airway. A child who is getting enough air to cough or speak is getting enough air to breathe. 

Continue Learning about First Aid For Choking

How do I give abdominal thrusts to a child who is choking?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Stand or kneel behind the child and wrap your arms around his or her waist.  Locate the navel with ...
When should I call 9-1-1 if someone is choking?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
If a person continues to cough without dislodging the object, have someone call 9-1-1 or the loc...
How can I test if a small object is a choking hazard for a child?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Try to pass it through a toilet-paper roll. If it fits, it is not safe for young children.
How do I give rescue breaths to an unconscious choking child?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Give 2 rescue breaths. Tilt the head back, pinch the nose shut and seal your mouth over the chil...