How common is choking on food in children?

Nina L. Shapiro, MD
Ear, Nose & Throat (Otolaryngology)
Choking on food sends more than 10,000 children to emergency rooms each year. While most of these choking events are not fatal, one child dies every five days from an accident related to food choking. Toys are labeled for safety, but if you go to the grocery store and buy baby carrots, which you think are healthy for your toddler, you may not realize they put your child at significant risk for choking.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Choking

How do I clear the airway of a large or pregnant person who is choking?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
If a conscious choking person is too big for you to reach around, is obviously pregnant or is kno...
How do I give chest compressions to an unconscious choking child?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Locate the correct hand position for chest compressions. Use the same technique that is used for...
How Does a Person Choke?
How Does a Person Choke?
What Should I Do If Someone Is Choking?
What Should I Do If Someone Is Choking?