How common is choking on food in children?

Nina L. Shapiro, MD
Ear, Nose & Throat (Otolaryngology)
Choking on food sends more than 10,000 children to emergency rooms each year. While most of these choking events are not fatal, one child dies every five days from an accident related to food choking. Toys are labeled for safety, but if you go to the grocery store and buy baby carrots, which you think are healthy for your toddler, you may not realize they put your child at significant risk for choking.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Choking

Why should a person who was choking be seen by a doctor after the event?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
An person who has choked and has been given back blows, abdominal thrusts or chest thrusts to cl...
How long should I give back blows and chest thrusts on a choking infant?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Continue giving sets of 5 back blows and 5 chest thrusts until the object is forced out; the inf...
How Does a Person Choke?
How Does a Person Choke?
What Should I Do If Someone Is Choking?
What Should I Do If Someone Is Choking?