How do I clear a blocked airway?

Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
Emergency Medicine
The action to clear a blocked airway is an abdominal thrust, also called the Heimlich maneuver. The technique is for a conscious choking victim who is one year of age or older. Different steps must be taken if the victim is unconscious or pregnant, or if the victim is less than one year of age. You can learn the steps for these special situations in a first aid course.
Doc's First Aid Guide: Read It Before You Need It

In a medical emergency, time is of the essence. "Doc's First Aid Guide" is an illustrated, first-aid pocket handbook designed to be used as a quick reference and includes the latest CPR guidelines....

Continue Learning about First Aid For Choking

How do I give chest compressions to an unconscious choking infant?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Locate the correct hand and finger position for chest compressions. Use the pads of two or three...
What should I do if someone is choking?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Choking is a common breathing emergency. It occurs when the person’s airway is partially or complete...
How Does a Person Choke?
How Does a Person Choke?
What Should I Do If Someone Is Choking?
What Should I Do If Someone Is Choking?