How can I clear my own airway if I am alone and choking?

• If you are alone and choking, bend over and press your abdomen against any firm object, such as the back of a chair, a railing or the kitchen sink. 
    [media id="PRD__4d8b8cc9050c75_77374710" title="Heimlich Maneuver on self with chair back"]
  • Do not bend over anything with a sharp edge or corner that might hurt you, and be careful when leaning on a rail that is elevated. 
  • Alternatively, give yourself abdominal thrusts, using your hands, just as if you were administering the abdominal thrusts to another person. 
American Red Cross, victim, choking, perform Heimlich maneuver, on own, fist against abdomen, upward thrust

Continue Learning about First Aid For Choking

How do I give chest thrusts to a conscious choking infant?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
To give chest thrusts: 1: Place the infant in a face-up position. Place one hand and forearm on ...
Why should an infant who was choking be seen by a doctor after the event?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
An infant who has choked and has been given back blows and chest thrusts to clear the airway req...
What are signs that a child is choking?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
These include: Coughing, either forcefully or weaklyClutching the throat with one or both hands  ...
How do I give care to an unconscious adult who is choking?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
AFTER CHECKING THE SCENE AND THE INJURED OR ILL PERSON: 1: GIVE A RESCUE BREATH Retilt the head an...