How do I give chest thrusts to a conscious choking infant?

To give chest thrusts:

1: Place the infant in a face-up position.

• Place one hand and forearm on the child’s back, cradling the back of the head, and use your thumb and fingers to hold the infant’s jaw while sandwiching the infant between your forearms. 
  • [media id="PRD__4d8b8dba21f852_82763196" title="Rescuer rotates choking infant"] 
  • Turn the infant onto his or her back. 

2: Lower your arm that is supporting the infant’s back onto your opposite thigh.

• The infant’s head should be lower than his or her chest, which will assist in dislodging the object. 

3: Place the pads of two or three fingers in the center of the infant’s chest just below the nipple line (toward the infant’s feet).

4: Use the pads of these fingers to compress the breastbone.

• Compress the breastbone 5 times about 1½ inches and then let the breastbone return to its normal position. 
  • Keep your fingers in contact with the infant’s breastbone.

American Red Cross, infant, choking, pads of two fingers, compression of breastbone, dislodge object

Continue Learning about First Aid For Choking

When should I call 9-1-1 for a breathing emergency?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
If a person is not breathing or if breathing is too fast, too slow, noisy or painful, call 9-1-1...
What should I teach my child to do if he is choking?
A number of things make children more vulnerable to choking than adults: their small upper airways, ...
How can I help an adult who is choking and has a fully blocked airway?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
A conscious adult who has a completely blocked airway needs immediate care. Using more than on...
What should I do if a choking infant becomes unconscious?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Carefully lower the infant to the ground, open the mouth and look for an object. If an object is s...