How do I give chest thrusts to a conscious choking infant?

To give chest thrusts:

1: Place the infant in a face-up position.

• Place one hand and forearm on the child’s back, cradling the back of the head, and use your thumb and fingers to hold the infant’s jaw while sandwiching the infant between your forearms. 
  • [media id="PRD__4d8b8dba21f852_82763196" title="Rescuer rotates choking infant"] 
  • Turn the infant onto his or her back. 

2: Lower your arm that is supporting the infant’s back onto your opposite thigh.

• The infant’s head should be lower than his or her chest, which will assist in dislodging the object. 

3: Place the pads of two or three fingers in the center of the infant’s chest just below the nipple line (toward the infant’s feet).

4: Use the pads of these fingers to compress the breastbone.

• Compress the breastbone 5 times about 1½ inches and then let the breastbone return to its normal position. 
  • Keep your fingers in contact with the infant’s breastbone.

American Red Cross, infant, choking, pads of two fingers, compression of breastbone, dislodge object

Continue Learning about First Aid For Choking

How long should I give care to a conscious choking adult?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
When providing care, each back blow and abdominal thrust should be a separate and distinct attem...
How can I help a conscious choking infant?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
If you determine that a conscious infant cannot cough, cry or breathe, you will need to give a c...
How Does a Person Choke?
How Does a Person Choke?
What Should I Do If Someone Is Choking?
What Should I Do If Someone Is Choking?