How can coughing help someone who is choking?

Coughing forcefully may dislodge whatever is partially blocking the airway. A person who is getting enough air to cough or speak is getting enough air to breathe. 

Continue Learning about First Aid For Choking

When should I call 9-1-1 for a breathing emergency?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
If a person is not breathing or if breathing is too fast, too slow, noisy or painful, call 9-1-1...
What should I do if my child is choking?
Nina L. Shapiro, MDNina L. Shapiro, MD
If your child is choking and unable to breathe, call 911 and begin performing the Heimlich maneuver....
How can I test if a small object is a choking hazard for an infant?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Try to pass it through a toilet-paper roll. If it fits, it is not safe for infants.
What do I do if my rescue breaths do not give air to an unconscious infant?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Re-tilt the head, and try another rescue breath. If you still cannot get air into the infant, as...