How do I give back blows to a child who is choking?

• To give back blows, position yourself slightly behind the child. 
  • Provide support by placing one arm diagonally across the chest and bend the child forward at the waist until the upper airway is at least parallel to the ground. 
  • Firmly strike the child between the shoulder blades with the heel of your other hand.

American Red Cross, child, forceful back blows, between shoulder, heel of hand, choking, emergency

Continue Learning about First Aid For Choking

How long should I give care to a conscious choking adult?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
When providing care, each back blow and abdominal thrust should be a separate and distinct attem...
How should I position myself when helping a conscious choking infant?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
You can give back blows and chest thrusts effectively whether you stand, kneel or sit, as long a...
How Does a Person Choke?
How Does a Person Choke?
What Should I Do If Someone Is Choking?
What Should I Do If Someone Is Choking?