How do I give chest compressions to an unconscious choking adult?

Locate the correct hand position for chest compressions. Use the same technique that is used for CPR.
  • Give chest compressions. Compress an adult’s chest 30 times to a depth of at least 2 inches. 
  • Compress at a rate of at least 100 chest compressions per minute; the 30 chest compressions should take about 18 seconds to complete.
American Red Cross, rescuer, unconscious victim, adult, chest compression, face shield, CPR

Continue Learning about First Aid For Choking

What should I do if a choking infant becomes unconscious?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Carefully lower the infant to the ground, open the mouth and look for an object. If an object is s...
Why is choking an urgent concern for children under 5?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Choking is a common cause of injury and death in children younger than 5. 
How Does a Person Choke?
How Does a Person Choke?
What Should I Do If Someone Is Choking?
What Should I Do If Someone Is Choking?