Why is a snake bite dangerous?

While any snake bite can be dangerous, some snakes are poisonous. Most people do not know the different species of snakes and which ones are poisonous. If you are bitten by a snake, get immediate medical attention. A snake bite can cause serious tissue damage where the bite occurs and can also require follow-up medical care. If the correct anti-venom is administered quickly, it can save the person's life. To prevent an attack or bite, never play with or tease a snake.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Animal Encounters

A Real Remedy for Jellyfish Stings—That’s Not Pee
When former Spice Girl Mel B. volunteered to appear on Running Wild with Bear Grylls in 2016 she knew she’d be in for an adventure of a lifetime. But ...
What is the first aid treatment for insect or animal bites?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
The following instructions are the first aid treatment for insect or animal bites: Do not elevat...
How do I avoid tick bites?
A bite from a tick can lead to health problems like Lyme disease. Find out how to ward off ticks...
Should I call 9-1-1 for someone bitten by an animal?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number if the wound is bleeding seriously or you suspect the anima...