What treatment should my child get for a bite or sting?

Your child’s doctor will talk with you about specific care for your child. Some general guidelines to follow include:

• If you have been shown how to use an “Epi-pen” for a known allergy, use it and then call 911 or come to the Emergency Room right away.
  • Remove stinger-flick it off (you can use a credit card or driver's license); do not pinch it
  • Put ice to site for 10 minutes; then remove it for 10 minutes. Repeat this process as needed to help reduce swelling.
  • Cut fingernails short to prevent scratching the skin
  • Apply a paste of meat tenderizer, baking soda, a wet tea bag, or Benadryl® Cream for pain until the area feels better.
  • Give an antihistamine for the itching, as prescribed by your child's doctor
  • Acetaminophen (Tylenol®, Tempra®, Panadol®) or ibuprofen (Motrin®, Pediaprofen®, Advil®) may be given for pain. Follow the directions on the box carefully or ask your doctor how much medicine to give.
  • Do not give your child more than 5 doses of acetaminophen in a 24-hour period.
  • Do not give acetaminophen to babies less than 3 months of age without talking with your child's doctor.
  • Do not give ibuprofen to babies less than 6 months of age without talking with your child's doctor.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Animal Encounters

A Real Remedy for Jellyfish Stings—That’s Not Pee
When former Spice Girl Mel B. volunteered to appear on Running Wild with Bear Grylls in 2016 she knew she’d be in for an adventure of a lifetime. But ...
What is the first aid treatment for insect or animal bites?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
The following instructions are the first aid treatment for insect or animal bites: Do not elevat...
How do I avoid tick bites?
A bite from a tick can lead to health problems like Lyme disease. Find out how to ward off ticks...
What should I do if my child is stung by a bee?
Bee stings can be painful and traumatic for children. However, unless the child has a known allergy,...