What is the first aid treatment for animal bites that break the skin?

Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
Emergency Medicine

For animal or human bite that breaks the skin:

• Make sure scene is safe. (Avoid animals acting strange, including humans.)
  • Wearing gloves, clean wound with soap and lots of running water.
  • Then stop bleeding by applying pressure.
  • Report all animal bites to the police/animal control.
  • If there's bruising or swelling, place a cold (mixture ice/water) wrapped in cloth on area for at least 20 min. or until medical help is obtained.
  • Get medical help for infection prevention.
  • A tetanus booster may be required.
Doc's First Aid Guide: Read It Before You Need It

In a medical emergency, time is of the essence. "Doc's First Aid Guide" is an illustrated, first-aid pocket handbook designed to be used as a quick reference and includes the latest CPR guidelines....

Continue Learning about First Aid For Animal Encounters

A Real Remedy for Jellyfish Stings—That’s Not Pee
When former Spice Girl Mel B. volunteered to appear on Running Wild with Bear Grylls in 2016 she knew she’d be in for an adventure of a lifetime. But ...
How do I avoid tick bites?
A bite from a tick can lead to health problems like Lyme disease. Find out how to ward off ticks...
What should I do if my child is stung by a bee?
Bee stings can be painful and traumatic for children. However, unless the child has a known allergy,...
What are signs of an animal bite?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Signs of an animal bite include:A bite markBleeding