What are the symptoms of a child’s serious reaction to a bite or sting?

Serious reactions may not appear very serious the first time they occur. However, ANY of the following symptoms below suggest that your child is at risk for a life-threatening reaction to a bite or sting in the future:

• Coughing
  • Tickle in the throat
  • Wheezing
  • Difficulty breathing (even mild)
  • Hoarseness
  • Fainting
  • Dizziness
  • Sweating
If any of these serious symptoms occur:
  • Call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room right away
  • Talk to your child’s doctor about the need for allergy shots, an epi pen or other ways to prevent symptoms

Continue Learning about First Aid For Animal Encounters

A Real Remedy for Jellyfish Stings—That’s Not Pee
When former Spice Girl Mel B. volunteered to appear on Running Wild with Bear Grylls in 2016 she knew she’d be in for an adventure of a lifetime. But ...
When should I see a doctor after a dog bite or cat bite?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
A pet would bite the hand that feeds it? It happens every day, and, unfortunately, even beloved ...
What should I do if I get bitten by a snake?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
First, get far enough away from the snake so it cannot attack you again.Second, call 911 and get hel...
What are signs of an animal bite?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Signs of an animal bite include:A bite markBleeding