What should I do if my child has a tick?

First, remove the tick. Don't try to scrape the tick off, because you'll only get part of it. Instead use flat-edged tweezers and try to get the whole little blood-sucking bugger off your child in one pull. If you're worried about Lyme disease, you can take the tick to your doc to have it analyzed.

The deer tick needs to be attached to the skin for at least twenty-four hours to transmit the virus, which is why you should religiously check your child once a day.

Take him to the pediatrician for a blood test if:

• He has coldlike symptoms after an extended tick bit.
  • There is a red ring around the bite.
  • Your child complains of exhaustion or achy joints.
  • You live in a deer-tick-infested area.
YOU: Raising Your Child: The Owner's Manual from First Breath to First Grade

There’s little doubt that parenting can be one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences you’ll ever have. But it can be plenty tough, too: Around the clock, you’re working to keep your...

Continue Learning about First Aid For Animal Encounters

A Real Remedy for Jellyfish Stings—That’s Not Pee
When former Spice Girl Mel B. volunteered to appear on Running Wild with Bear Grylls in 2016 she knew she’d be in for an adventure of a lifetime. But ...
How should I care for a bull rider who has been gored?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
First make sure someone has contacted 911. Then make sure to hold direct pressure on the wound. Do n...
When should I see a doctor after a dog bite or cat bite?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
A pet would bite the hand that feeds it? It happens every day, and, unfortunately, even beloved ...
What should I do if my child is stung by a bee?
If you ever see a child have a run-in with a bee, a wasp, or a pile of fire ants, you know his react...