What do I need to know about a snake bite?

If you get a snake bite, call 911 from a landline if possible. If you aren't sure what type of snake bit you, try to remember the color or pattern or snap a photo on your smart phone. That can help the doctors or paramedics identify the type of snake and whether or not it is poisonous. Some poisonous snakes can bite more than once, so don’t try to catch or kill the snake yourself.

Keep calm and get to a hospital right away for antivenom. Don't try to suck the venom out and don't tie a tourniquet around the area. 

To prevent snakes in your area, clear away any brush or fields of wild flowers. Consider installing a snake fence around the perimeter of your yard. When at a park or hiking, don’t wander into areas of brush or shrubbery and stay on the path while hiking. 

Continue Learning about First Aid For Animal Encounters

A Real Remedy for Jellyfish Stings—That’s Not Pee
When former Spice Girl Mel B. volunteered to appear on Running Wild with Bear Grylls in 2016 she knew she’d be in for an adventure of a lifetime. But ...
How do I avoid tick bites?
Here's your basic, four-point plan to lower your risk of tick bites and Lyme disease: Use insect ...
Should I call 9-1-1 for someone bitten by a spider or scorpion?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number immediately if you suspect that someone has been bitten by ...
How should I care for a bull rider who has been gored?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
First make sure someone has contacted 911. Then make sure to hold direct pressure on the wound. Do n...