What are killer bees?

Killer bees, also called Africanized honey bees, are a strain of bees that resulted from African bees mating with milder-tempered European bees in South America during the 1950s. In about 1990, killer bees reached the United States and have continued to form colonies here ever since, especially in warmer states, such as Texas, Arizona and California. True to their name, killer bees tend to be aggressive and very defensive when it comes to protecting their hives. They have been known to swarm and attack humans and animals. Their venom is poisonous and can cause severe illness and death, especially in large amounts and for people with a bee sting allergy.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Animal Encounters

A Real Remedy for Jellyfish Stings—That’s Not Pee
When former Spice Girl Mel B. volunteered to appear on Running Wild with Bear Grylls in 2016 she knew she’d be in for an adventure of a lifetime. But ...
How should I care for a bull rider who has been gored?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
First make sure someone has contacted 911. Then make sure to hold direct pressure on the wound. Do n...
When should I see a doctor after a dog bite or cat bite?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
A pet would bite the hand that feeds it? It happens every day, and, unfortunately, even beloved ...
What should I do if my child is stung by a bee?
Bee stings can be painful and traumatic for children. However, unless the child has a known allergy,...