What is a black widow spider?

Black widows are poisonous spiders. They have a black, shiny body and are well known for the red marking on their underside that looks like an hourglass. They usually make their homes in sheds, woodpiles, outdoor furniture and other places where they can live undisturbed. In the US, they are more common in western and southern states. They are not aggressive, but will attack if they perceive a threat. People who are bitten by black widows need emergency care. The first symptom of a black widow's bite may be a small stinging sensation along with swelling or redness where the bite occurred. More serious symptoms usually follow within 15 minutes to an hour. These include breathing problems, headaches, nausea and vomiting, muscle cramps, numbness, increased sweating and increased saliva. Small children, the elderly, and the very ill are at the highest risk of dying from a black widow bite; pregnant women have been known to go into premature labor from one. 
black widow spider

Continue Learning about First Aid For Animal Encounters

A Real Remedy for Jellyfish Stings—That’s Not Pee
When former Spice Girl Mel B. volunteered to appear on Running Wild with Bear Grylls in 2016 she knew she’d be in for an adventure of a lifetime. But ...
How should I care for a bull rider who has been gored?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
First make sure someone has contacted 911. Then make sure to hold direct pressure on the wound. Do n...
What should I do if my child is stung by a bee?
Bee stings can be painful and traumatic for children. However, unless the child has a known allergy,...
How dangerous is an animal bite?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
The bite of a domestic or wild animal can cause infection and soft-tissue injury. The most serio...