What should I do if someone is bitten by a rabid animal?

Peter DeLucia
Health Education
If you have been bitten/scratched by a potentially rabid animal, including pets, you should seek medical attention and call your local health department promptly. Watch public health specialist Peter DeLucia, MPA, explain some key steps to follow. 
If an animal bites someone, try to get the person away from the animal without putting yourself in danger. Do not try to stop, hold, or catch the animal. Do not touch a pet that may have come in contact with the animal’s saliva without using or wearing some form of protection like disposable gloves.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Animal Encounters

A Real Remedy for Jellyfish Stings—That’s Not Pee
When former Spice Girl Mel B. volunteered to appear on Running Wild with Bear Grylls in 2016 she knew she’d be in for an adventure of a lifetime. But ...
Should I call 9-1-1 for someone bitten by an animal?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number if the wound is bleeding seriously or you suspect the anima...
How should I care for a bull rider who has been gored?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
First make sure someone has contacted 911. Then make sure to hold direct pressure on the wound. Do n...
What is the first aid treatment for animal bites that break the skin?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
For animal or human bite that breaks the skin:Make sure scene is safe. (Avoid animals acting stran...