What are ticks?

Ticks are small blood-sucking parasites with eight legs that attach themselves to the skin of animals and people. Their bite can lead to infection. In people, tick bites can lead to diseases, such as Lyme disease, Rocky Mountain spotted fever and ehrlichiosis. Ticks live in every part of the world where hosts can be found, although not all areas have ticks that carry disease that affect people. People who spend time in areas with untended vegetation or tall grasses, such as forests or other wild areas, may be especially at risk of a tick bite. And people are more likely to be bitten during the spring and early summer. Ticks on the skin should be removed as quickly as possible with tweezers. Common symptoms of an infection include fever, a rash and general body aches.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Animal Encounters

A Real Remedy for Jellyfish Stings—That’s Not Pee
When former Spice Girl Mel B. volunteered to appear on Running Wild with Bear Grylls in 2016 she knew she’d be in for an adventure of a lifetime. But ...
What should I do if my child is stung by a bee?
Bee stings can be painful and traumatic for children. However, unless the child has a known allergy,...
How dangerous is an animal bite?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
The bite of a domestic or wild animal can cause infection and soft-tissue injury. The most serio...
How do I care for someone who has been bitten by an animal?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
To care for an animal bite: Control bleeding first if the wound is bleeding seriously. Do not ...