What are the signs of Lyme disease?

Clifford W. Bassett, MD
Allergy & Immunology

Common signs of Lyme disease include a bulls-eye target rash, fever, chills, aches/pains, arthritis and headaches. Watch allergist Clifford Bassett, MD, discuss these symptoms and why it's important to get tested immediately if you think you have it.

The first sign of infection may appear a few days or a few weeks after a tick bite. In 80% to 90% of all cases of Lyme disease a rash starts as a small red area at the site of the bite. It may spread up to 7 inches across.

In fair-skinned people, the center may be a lighter color with the outer edges red and raised. This sometimes gives the rash a bull’s-eye appearance. In some individuals, the rash may appear to be solid red. In dark-skinned people, the area may look black and blue, like a bruise.

The rash may or may not be warm to the touch and usually is not itchy or painful. If a rash does appear, it will do so in about one to two weeks and may last for about three to five weeks. Some people with Lyme disease never develop a rash.

Other signs of Lyme disease include fever, headache, weakness, and joint and muscle pain. These signs are similar to signs of flu and can develop slowly. They might not occur at the same time as the rash.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Animal Encounters

A Real Remedy for Jellyfish Stings—That’s Not Pee
When former Spice Girl Mel B. volunteered to appear on Running Wild with Bear Grylls in 2016 she knew she’d be in for an adventure of a lifetime. But ...
How do I care for someone who has been bitten by an animal?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
To care for an animal bite: Control bleeding first if the wound is bleeding seriously. Do not ...
How should I care for a bull rider who has been gored?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
First make sure someone has contacted 911. Then make sure to hold direct pressure on the wound. Do n...
Should I call 9-1-1 for someone bitten by a spider or scorpion?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number immediately if you suspect that someone has been bitten by ...