Should I see a doctor if I've been bitten by a spider?

Spider bites, like those from a black widow, can cause symptoms that should be seen by a doctor immediately. You're going to be pretty sick pretty quickly if it's a significant envenomation (poisoning with venom), with local sweating and abdominal cramps. The most important thing is to take precautions to help prevent insect and spider bites. You can do this by keeping yourself covered, either with clothing or bug spray, and checking for bites when you return inside.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Animal Encounters

A Real Remedy for Jellyfish Stings—That’s Not Pee
When former Spice Girl Mel B. volunteered to appear on Running Wild with Bear Grylls in 2016 she knew she’d be in for an adventure of a lifetime. But ...
How do I avoid tick bites?
Here's your basic, four-point plan to lower your risk of tick bites and Lyme disease: Use insect ...
What is the first aid treatment for insect or animal bites?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
The following instructions are the first aid treatment for insect or animal bites: Do not elevat...
Should I call 9-1-1 for someone bitten by an animal?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number if the wound is bleeding seriously or you suspect the anima...