Is a rattlesnake bite life-threatening?

Rattlesnakes account for most snakebites and most of the deaths from snakebites in the United States. Most deaths occur because the bitten person has an allergic reaction or is in poor health, or because too much time passes before he or she receives medical care.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Animal Encounters

What is the first aid treatment for insect or animal bites?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
The following instructions are the first aid treatment for insect or animal bites: Do not elevat...
Should I call 9-1-1 for someone bitten by a spider or scorpion?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number immediately if you suspect that someone has been bitten by ...
How should I care for a bull rider who has been gored?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
First make sure someone has contacted 911. Then make sure to hold direct pressure on the wound. Do n...
How do I care for someone who has been bitten by an animal?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
To care for an animal bite: Control bleeding first if the wound is bleeding seriously. Do not ...