How can a snake bite be prevented?

A snake bite can hopefully be prevented by taking the following precautions:
  • Wear long pants, long socks and sturdy shoes or boots.
  • Keep an eye out for snakes or areas where snakes like to hide such as behind rocks, in holes and under steps or porches.
  • Don't reach into any areas you cannot see such a hole, under piles of leafs or into shrubbery.
  • Consider installing a snake fence around the perimeter of your yard.
  • Clear away any brush, shrubbery or wild flowers in your yard. Trim plants around the bottom so you can see the ground.
  • When at a park, don’t let your children wander into areas of brush or shrubbery, especially if you can't see the ground.
  • Stay on the path while hiking.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Animal Encounters

A Real Remedy for Jellyfish Stings—That’s Not Pee
When former Spice Girl Mel B. volunteered to appear on Running Wild with Bear Grylls in 2016 she knew she’d be in for an adventure of a lifetime. But ...
When should I see a doctor after a dog bite or cat bite?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
A pet would bite the hand that feeds it? It happens every day, and, unfortunately, even beloved ...
What should I do if my child is stung by a bee?
If you ever see a child have a run-in with a bee, a wasp, or a pile of fire ants, you know his react...
What is the first aid treatment for insect or animal bites?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
The following instructions are the first aid treatment for insect or animal bites: Do not elevat...