How can a snake bite be prevented?

A snake bite can hopefully be prevented by taking the following precautions:
  • Wear long pants, long socks and sturdy shoes or boots.
  • Keep an eye out for snakes or areas where snakes like to hide such as behind rocks, in holes and under steps or porches.
  • Don't reach into any areas you cannot see such a hole, under piles of leafs or into shrubbery.
  • Consider installing a snake fence around the perimeter of your yard.
  • Clear away any brush, shrubbery or wild flowers in your yard. Trim plants around the bottom so you can see the ground.
  • When at a park, don’t let your children wander into areas of brush or shrubbery, especially if you can't see the ground.
  • Stay on the path while hiking.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Animal Encounters

Should I call 9-1-1 for someone bitten by a spider or scorpion?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number immediately if you suspect that someone has been bitten by ...
What is the first aid treatment for animal bites that break the skin?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
For animal or human bite that breaks the skin:Make sure scene is safe. (Avoid animals acting stran...
Should I call 9-1-1 for someone bitten by an animal?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number if the wound is bleeding seriously or you suspect the anima...
How should I care for a bull rider who has been gored?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
First make sure someone has contacted 911. Then make sure to hold direct pressure on the wound. Do n...